Nanny insurance isn't mandatory unless you are ofsted registered, but we still highly recommend you have it.
Your employers have to have insurance just in case anything happens to you, so it makes sense for you to have insurance should anything happen to your charges in your care and you are liable.
79% of Nannies have Public Liability Insurance
Public Liability Insurance, commonly abbreviated to PLI, helps to show you are serious about your nanny profession and many offer cover for babysitting too.
Public Liability Insurance often have a support line you can call for advice and will cover you in case any child in your care has an accident which, no matter how eagle-eyed a nanny you are, can still happen.
Make sure you check the company providing your policy covers you for trips out of the house and if required abroad on holiday.
Our Nanny Lounge poll shows that Morton Michel is the most popular, with Childcare, Pacey and Nanny Insure also used.
£64 for OFSTED registered (and applying to be) nannies / £84 non – OFSTED nannies
Limit of indemnity 5 million.
- Covers attendance at exhibitions, creches, meetings and outings run for and on behalf of homebased childcare professionals
- Food poisoning
- Incorrectly administered first aid treatment, administration of medicines and drugs in accordance with policy conditions, administration/provision of oxygen, gastro feeding, naso-gastric tube feeding, cleaning and changing of feeding and tracheostomy/tracheotomy tubes and emptying/changing stoma bags in accordance with policy conditions
- Children with special needs
- Use of trampolines, climbing frames, bouncy castles and garden swimming pools in accordance with policy conditions
- Duties in relation to your home-based childcare, business, outside UK, for holidays and the like, for a maximum of 180 days in countries of the European Union and a maximum of 90 days anywhere in the world (unless you are travelling against advice from the Foreign Office of the British Government)
- Providing babysitting services in accordance with policy conditions, contingency motor liability – this does not replace or include ordinary motor insurance and it does not cover the motor vehicle or its contents. It does provide cover if you use someone else’s vehicle.
The number of minded children in your direct and immediate personal care at any one time must not
The Morton Michel Childcare Club which includes Creative Minds digital magazine, ChildCarer e-newsletter, free EYFS training guides, discounts on top UK attractions, discounts to top indoor soft play centres, discount on Haven Holidays, discount on selected suppliers to the early years and childcare sector and subscription discounts to main early years and childcare magazines.
Free with membership. Membership is £24.99 a month/£129.99 a year (use code NANNYCHAT for discount)
Limit of indemnity £10 million.
- Accidents which result in a physical injury to any person, or which results in damage to another person’s property, or if you make an error or omission whilst carrying out childcare
- Cover your liability for compensation and claimants’ costs and expenses as a result of the claim.
- We will indemnify your legal liability to pay for damage to property which you have leased or rented but not including contractual liability relating to the leasing or renting of that property
- Breach of Food Safety regulations whilst carrying out your childcare activities
- We will indemnity you for any costs or expenses incurred with our written consent in relation to:
a. a claim at any Coroner’s Inquest or other inquiry in respect of death, and
b. any court proceedings for any act or failure to act, and
c. any other costs or expenses incurred with our written consent for which we provide cover under
- If you are required to carry out childcare activities outside of the UK, but within the European Union, for a temporary period of time (up to 30 consecutive days) for an individual who normally resides in the UK, the insurance provided by this policy remains in place
Free online profile and ability to send/receive messages from prospective parents, 30 minutes free legal advice on childcare and family issues, free accountancy advice, free online access to Creative Steps magazine, 160 free online training courses from Educare, Laser Learning and Virtual College and free tastecard and tastecard+ membership.
£69.03 for OFSTED registered nannies / £78.75 for non – OFSTED nannies
Limit of indemnity £10 million
- Accidental injury (including death) to children in your care
- Accidental injury (including death) to third parties occurring whilst you are providing childcare or caused by children in your care
- Damage to a third party’s property caused by children in your care
- Loss or damage to property belonging to children in your care occurring at your setting or on an outing with you
- Nuisance or trespass
- Reimbursement of pre-authorised legal costs and expenses relating to an insured incident
- Leaving children in the care of another adult during an emergency
- Caring for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities aged up to 25 years
- Attending and running exhibitions, crèches, meetings and outings organised for, and on behalf of, child carers (not only Registered Childminders)
- Babysitting up to six children in the family’s home (provided you have completed a PACEY/SCMA Babysitting Checklist which has been signed by the parent/guardian.)
- Accidental injury caused by the incorrect application of first aid treatment
- Administering medication/treatment (provided written parental permission has been obtained)
- Your usual childcare activities, including use of trampolines, climbing frames, bouncy castles, garden swimming pools or similar, and food poisoning arising from food you have prepared
- Motor contingency liability (not a replacement for car insurance and only available where no other cover is in place), covering:
Your use of another person’s vehicle (with their prior consent) in the course of providing childcare
Another person’s vehicle (with their consent) up to £750 per event
- Member-to-member indemnity – this will apply when you are held legally liable to another PACEY/SCMA member
- Forest School Activities are include in your cover provided that full risk assessments have been carried out and minded children only are included
Free CPD training, up to 50% off online training courses, online community forums
Limit of indemnity £5 million
- Bodily Injury to any person
- Damage to Property not belonging to You or Your Family
- Obstruction, trespass, nuisance or interference with any right of way
- Error or omission in the provision of the following medical treatment: nursing care, administration of medicines or drugs issued with or without prescription or first aid
- We will cover Your liability for: compensation and claimants’ costs and expenses
- Temporary visits overseas for up to 90 days per trip and 180 days total in any Period of Cover
Cover for up to 6 children in the nanny’s sole charge
Please be aware that the information here is only a rough guide of the services and cover available and you should always consult your insurance policy. Prices are subject to change.